By uniting individual efforts, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority has built a strong, cohesive organization that positively impacts the lives of families and communities. The Sorority’s success is based on the depth of commitment, vision and confidence of its members.
Alpha Kappa Alpha seeks women who will promote, uphold, and extend its policies and programs. In return, the Sorority is a conduit through which individuals can grow and develop, personally and professionally, while simultaneously providing “Service to All Mankind.”
Membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority is generally classified as undergraduate or graduate. In both classifications:
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated does not discriminate in its membership selection practices on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, creed, marital status or disability. Nor will Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated tolerate such discrimination by its chapters or its members. Federal law recognizes the right of college social fraternities and sororities to maintain single sex membership policies. Consistent with that right, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated is a women’s organization and membership is open to women.
- Prospective members must have high ethical and moral standards;
- Membership can only be obtained by completing the Sorority’s official Membership Intake Process (MIP);
- Interested candidates should not participate in demeaning, degrading or unkind acts. Should members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority ask you to perform tasks or participate in activities other than those outlined in our MIP, they are in violation of the Sorority’s policies and practices and do not represent the values of the organization. This behavior will not be tolerated.
Membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will not be extended to:
- An individual who knowingly participates in activities outside of the official Membership Intake Process;
- An individual who knowingly participates in activities which are demeaning, degrading or demoralizing;
- An individual who knowingly submits falsified documents or credentials.
Graduate Membership Requirements
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree, with at least a C+ cumulative average, or a graduate or professional degree (Ph.D., M.D., J.D., etc.) from an accredited college or university
- C+ is equivalent to a 2.50 on a 4.0 scale if the school does not have a plus or minus on the grading scale;
- Motivation and talents to help promote, implement and extend policies and programs of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority;
- Attendance at Information Session with the required documents listed in the Letter of Invitation
Graduate membership is by invitation only and is not solicited through our graduate chapters. Graduate chapters host public events, such as forums, cultural presentations and social activities, so that prospective candidates can become acquainted with chapter members and learn about service activities they offer to local communities.
Utilize the Chapter Locator in About AKA to locate graduate chapters and contacts in or near your community.
The Graduate Membership Intake Process (MIP) begins with a Letter of Invitation, signed by the graduate chapter president ANDmembership chairman on chapter stationery. There are no membership activities prior to receipt of an official invitation letter, and the Sorority prohibits partaking in MIP activities prior to receiving an official letter.
- Pledging is not a part of the membership process, and anyone who knowingly and willingly participates in pledging activities may be forbidden membership with the Sorority. Additionally, suspension and/or expulsion may result if it is later discovered that an individual participated in pledging activities once a member.
Additional information is available at the AKA website.